You are here

Municipalities to receive up to $4 billion from province, feds to offset COVID

TORONTO - Ontario municipalities will receive up to $4 billion in funding to help cover the costs incurred due to the COVID-19 pandemic, with up to half earmarked for public transit, the province said Monday.

Premier Doug Ford said the money, provided in partnership with the federal government, will be doled out in the coming months.

Fentanyl

Fort Frances OPP, in partnership with the North West Region Organized Crime Enforncement Bureau, issued a search warrant on a Fort Frances home, resulting in the seisure of fentanyl. The drug has been responsible for seven overdoses, including one fatality, in the past two weeks.

Shady retreat

Even local wildlife has been taking a break from the intense heat we've had lately. This white-tailed deer was taking a rest in the shade, while a squirrel hangs out nearby. If you have a great photo, send it to us, so we can share it with local readers! Send your high resolution photos to tips@fortfrances.ca.

- Nell Laur photo

Two new COVID cases announced

Over the past few days, the NWHU has received two new COVID-19 results.

On Saturday, the NWHU received a report of one new positive COVID-19 test result in the Sioux Lookout area. Follow up with the person involved and their contacts has started according to protocol. Anyone who is identified as a contact for this case will be contacted directly.

Child-care centres across Ontario can expand capacity today

The number of kids in child-care centres is allowed to increase across Ontario today as the province continues its gradual reopening.

The Ministry of Education had previously limited the number of people per room in a daycare to 10 in an effort to stop the spread of COVID-19.

As of today, a maximum of 15 children - plus staff members - will be allowed in each “cohort.”