Northwestern Ontario’s Travel Information Centres are not for sale.
That was the message being sent by local MPP Sarah Campbell to the provincial government at a rally Friday morning at the Manitoba-Ontario border.
Flanked by members of the public, representatives from tourist organizations, and municipal leaders, Campbell said the region needs to keep up the pressure to re-open travel information centres in Fort Frances, Rainy River, and Kenora.
“There does seem to be some level of acknowledgement in the ministry that this was a bad decision and it wasn’t properly thought out,” Campbell told those on hand.
“That’s why we need to keep up the pressure to get this decision reversed,” she stressed.
With a “For Sale” sign featuring the faces of Tourism minister Michael Chan and Premier Dalton McGuinty posted at the site, Campbell slapped the word “not” on the sign—saying that was the message community members need to continue to send.
“We need the minister to understand that this industry is too vital to this region’s economy to be put in jeopardy by the closure of these centres,” she explained.
“We have fought a good fight so far,” she added. “Now it’s time to bring that fight to the next level.”
With that in mind, Campbell unveiled a “Not For Sale” postcard campaign to send this message clearly to the minister and premier.
Campbell is asking residents to fill out the cards and return them to her constituency offices so she can hand deliver them to the minister.