You are here

Muskie girls win pair


The week didn't start off so well for the Muskie girls' hockey team but the weekend more than made up for it.

Martina Woods and Tatum Glowasky each netted hat tricks to pace the visiting Muskies (4-5-0-1) to a 13-0 drubbing of the fifth-place Sioux Lookout Warriors (0-7) yesterday afternoon.

Glowasky (two), Woods (two), Issy Taylor, Abbie Kenny, and Kianna Antonick all bulged the twine in the first period as Fort High jumped out to a 7-0 lead.

Paiten Kinnear had the lone tally of the second frame.

Woods and Glowasky then capped their hat tricks with markers in the third while the Muskies also got goals from Jill Calder (two) and Ellayna Kabel to round out the scoring.

It was much the same Saturday night as Alex Gartzke, Makenna Henttonen, Emily Kaun, and Kinnear each scored twice to pace the Muskies to a 13-1 romp over the Warriors.

Fort High jumped out to a 3-0 lead on goals by Kathryn Fischer, Gartzke, and Taylor.

Kaun, Calder, Katrina Koomans, and Kinnear then tallied in the second to make it 7-0 after 40 minutes.

After Henttonen made it 8-0 early in the third, Sioux Lookout finally got on the board.

But Kinnear, Gartzke, Kaun, Glowasky, and Henttonen all found the back of the net later in the frame to cap the scoring.

The Muskies went into the weekend fresh off a 3-2 loss to the St. Thomas Aquinas Saints (Kenora) on Thursday night at “The Duke” (Couchiching Arena).

Shai VanWalleghem opened the scoring for the Saints on a man advantage with 1:18 left in the first when she blasted a shot from the point over the shoulder of Muskie goalie Jersey Masson.

Taylor drew the Muskies even 7:21 into the second when she broke in all alone on the Saints' goal and made no mistake with a shot over the shoulder of Sarah From.

The Saints retook the lead with 6:40 left in the frame when Abbie Favreau buried a feed in front of the net from Chole Skead.

Mariah White then put the visitors up 3-1 after she buried a feed from Natalina Reynard and Katelyn Stenlund with 3:17 to go.

After Montana Neil was ejected for hitting a Muskie player from behind, Calder made the Saints pay on the ensuing power play when she intercepted a failed clearing attempt and rifled a shot past From to trim it to 3-2 with 4:13 left in regulation time.

But that's as close as the Muskies would get as From stood tall down the stretch.

The Muskies resume NorWOSSA action tomorrow night when they head to Kenora to face the Broncos.

Then they'll cap the week in Dryden with a battle against the Eagles on Thursday night.

Free story: 
Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Google icon
LinkedIn icon
Pinterest icon
Reddit icon
e-mail icon