The town is on its next step to hire a new Chief Administrative Officer.
The deadline for applications was Friday (April 8) and town council got its first look at the applications received during an in-camera session at last night’s meeting,
“We’re moving forward in replacing our CAO, Mr. McCaig, who’s done a tremendous job for this community,” said Mayor Roy Avis.
“As we move forward, we’ll keep the residents posted as to what’s happening,” he added, noting he hopes the town is successful in finding a suitable replacement.
In related news, council received a request to support a resolution from the Town of Capreol asking the OPP to return a helicopter to the north.
Last year, an OPP helicopter stationed in Sudbury was relocated to Orillia but Capreol wants it back in Sudbury.
But Coun. Ken Perry said NOMA does not want to support Capreol’s resolution.
Instead, NOMA would like to see an OPP helicopter located further north than Sudbury, such as in Thunder Bay, Dryden, Fort Frances, or Geraldton.
This helicopter is used for search-and-rescue efforts.
In other business, council:
- received a verbal update on the “Fight the Blight” clean-up campaign slated for next month;
- referred a letter from J. Davis of Northwestern Hockey Camp Canada, re: a request for preferred ice and facility rates, to the Community Services executive committee for its recommendation, with input from the Administration & Finance executive committee;
- referred a letter from E. Mose of Asselin Transportation, re: a request for disposal of sewage waste, to the Operations & Facilities executive committee for its recommendation;
- proclaimed June as Seniors’ Month in the Town of Fort Frances, as per the request of Mario Sergio, the minister responsible for seniors;
- passed a bylaw to establish tax ratios for prescribed property classes;
- passed a bylaw to authorize a licence agreement for purposes of utilization of the town’s geospatial data with Scatliff + Miller + Murray; and
- passed a bylaw to approve an amendment to the materials service agreement with Product Care Association re: household hazardous waste event days.