You are here

Staff Writer

Tour de Fort remains on hold

 

Tour de Fort, a non-profit organization that has been organizing entertainment performances in Fort Frances for 26 years, decided to put their entertainment series on hold because of restrictions around gatherings brought by COVID-19.

Charles Fisher, president of the board, said they will not be able to organize any shows with the current COVID-19 numbers in the province.

Fort Frances resident charged with downtown break-ins

 

A 30-year-old local man from Fort Frances has been charged with multiple break and enter incidents that took place last week.

The accused has been charged with a dozen offences including four counts of break and enters, two counts of thefts under $5,000, mischief under $5000, four counts of possession of property obtained by crime and possession of heroin.

Rickford explains Ontario’s state of emergency order

 

Greg Rickford, MPP for Kenora-Rainy River, said in a media scrum held on Tuesday afternoon that the decision to declare a state of emergency and issue a stay-at-home order was difficult but a necessary one to make.

Under this order, all Ontarians are to stay at home expect for essential trips to the grocery store, the drug store and other approved activities.

Women’s Foundation announces grants to tackle gender-based violence

 

The Canadian Women's Foundation received $19.6 million to give as grants for women's and other organizations offering gender-based violence support. These grants were given from the federal government to help organizations deal with the surge in reported gender-based violence incidents during the COVID-19 pandemic.