On Friday at approximately 9:46 p.m., members of the Rainy River District Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a call of a large fight with a weapon involved, at the Point Park in Fort Frances.
Officers immediately attended the location and commenced an investigation into the circumstances. As a result, officers learned that an altercation had taken place between a number of people camping in the area, and a local man.
Two people involved in the altercation received minor injuries.
Officers began searching the area for the suspect, and on Saturday at approximately 9 a.m., he was located and arrested.
A 38-year-old Couchiching First Nation man is being charged with the following:
- Five counts of Uttering Threats contrary to section 264.1(1)(a) of the Criminal Code;
- Two counts of Assault with a Weapon contrary to section 267(a) of the Criminal Code;
- Two counts of Weapons Dangerous contrary to section 88 of the Criminal Code;
- Fail to Comply with Recognizance contrary to section 145(3) of the Criminal Code; and
- Fail to Comply with Probation contrary to section 733.1(1) of the Criminal Code.
The accused was held for bail court. He is currently in custody and is awaiting a court appearance tomorrow at the Ontario Court of Justice in Fort Frances in answer to his charges.