Parking meters at the rear of the new Rainy Lake Square are a step closer to reality.
Town council will be presented with a recommendation at its regular meeting tonight to approve a parking rate of $1.25/hour for the meters, as well as to direct administration to draft an agreement with Global Payments for credit card services for them.
That agreement then will be brought forward at the Aug. 13 council meeting, after which the town's bylaw department will order the parking meters from MacKay Meters, bylaw enforcement officer Patrick Briere told the Times.
Once they arrive, the six parking meters will be installed at the south end of the square along the laneway.
Users will be able to pay for parking by coin, credit card, or payment through an app which can be downloaded onto any smartphone.
Down the road, this modern type of meter will be the new standard here and replace the current ones located around town as needed, noted Briere.
As stated, the rate for the new meters will be $1.25/hour, but the older meter rate will remain at $1/hour until they're swapped out with the new ones.
“Any new meter we install from here on out will be $1.25 [an hour],” said Briere.
“But the current meters that are on the street, like on Church Street and Portage right now by the post office, will continue to be $1 only because the meters are outdated and I can't change the rates on them,” he explained.
Tonight's council meeting will follow the committee of the whole meeting, which starts at 5 p.m.
There are no in-camera items on the agenda.
Other business on tonight's agenda includes:
- a residential development site plan control agreement and permit for property located at Front Street and Minnie Avenue;
- a report re: use of the Shevlin wood yard for overflow parking at the Sorting Gap Marina;
- a verbal update re: capital projects;
- a recommendation re: council remuneration; and
- the awarding of tenders for the reconstruction of the sidewalk on the 300 block of Scott Street, and the continued operation and maintenance of the wastewater treatment facility.