You are here

Bass draw flooded with entries


The number of teams involved in the random draw to enter the Fort Frances Canadian Bass Championship next July is growing—along with the excitement of those taking part in Wednesday night’s lottery.

Bud Edwards, media relations director for the FFCBC, said Tuesday morning that 123 teams had been confirmed as of Monday night for the draw, which takes place at La Place Rendez-Vous Ballroom starting at 7 p.m., although he added that number likely would rise even more.

“People were still delivering entries last night, and we have to double check to make sure we’ve picked up the entries from all locations,” said Edwards.

“We also had a few phone calls from people wondering how to get their entry in before the midnight deadline,” he added. “We try and be as co-operative as possible.

“Some people miss the ads in the paper or just forget.”

Forty spots in the FFCBC will be available in the draw to join the top 90 finishers from this year’s tournament, who automatically qualified for the 2003 event.

All those selected after the first 40 will be drawn and placed on a waiting list, with a chance to move into the bottom end of the tournament should any teams that already have qualified decide to pull out.

“We’re close to having 100 percent of the top 90 coming back,” said Edwards. “Entry into the tournament is a prized thing.”

Champions of six regional tournaments throughout this season, including last weekend’s Rainy Lake Bass Classic, also have automatically earned spots in next year’s FFCBC.

This year’s entries for the draw exceeds last year’s total of 102 seeking to get into the tournament, which boasted prize money of $133,000 this past July.

“We’re seeing a lot of new names going into the draw,” noted Edwards. “That’s encouraging.”

He added tournament directors are under pressure to expand the field, but noted that isn’t a topic that’s been discussed yet.

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Google icon
LinkedIn icon
Pinterest icon
Reddit icon
e-mail icon