The Rainy River District School Board awarded Crossroads School in Devlin with the first Recognition of Excellence for 2007 at its meeting last Tuesday night (Jan. 9) in Fort Frances.
Crossroads has excelled in its “Partnerships for Student Successes Sharing Circle.”
At Crossroads, they recognize that students often have needs which may not be effectively met in a regular classroom setting. As such, students in the living and learning class have education plans to their individual needs.
Students needs are considered, including social, emotional, and academic. Those at the school believe that if a student can’t “live,” they certainly can’t “learn.”
Congratulations to all involved for setting up a “sharing circle” for the students.
- • • Gord Hyatt was honoured at a 50th birthday party on Saturday (Jan. 13). Gord’s wife, Pat, and his three daughters, Crystal, Brenda, and Ang, welcomed the guests. Gord’s co-worker, Lou Collier, spoke a few words about working with Gord and their humorous times together. A good time was had by friends and family. Gord looked very happy as he entered his 50th year.
- • • Congratulations to Christine Badiuk and Taylor DeGagne on the birth of their daughter, Morgan, who arrived Friday, Jan. 12. Proud grandparents are Ken and Kelly Badiuk and Marty and Heather DeGagne.
- • • Irene Elliot is in the hospital in Fort Frances after suffering a stroke while Jean Booth is in the Continuing Care Unit there. Also in poor health is Buck Bujold, who has suffered strokes. Our community has all three in our thoughts and prayers.
- • • Last week’s card games at the Emo Legion were won by Jerry and Jane Allen, with the low being taken by Mary Alice Drennan and Ester Elias. The draw was won by Ross Brooks.
- • • A reminder the next dance at the Emo Legion goes this Saturday (Jan. 20).
- • • The Rainy River District Logging and Safety Committee will hold a meeting this Friday (Jan. 19) at 3 p.m. at the Adventure Inn in Fort Frances.
- • • Don’t forget a PA Day has been scheduled for Friday, Jan. 26 for all schools in the district.
- • • Robin’s 2¢: A couple was celebrating their 60th anniversary. Understandably, people were curious on how they had managed 60 years of wedded bliss. The husband said, “On our 25th, we went to Chile.” “What did you do on your 50th,” asked an interested person. “I went back and got her,” he replied.