Town eyeing hall renos
The town could be undertaking a project to make the East End Hall more accessible.
Community Services manager Jason Kabel told council last week that he was contacted by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada and told extra funds were available under the Enabling Accessibility Fund—Small Project Component.
While the town was told shortly thereafter that its application was successful, it also was told the program didn’t have enough funding at that time to fund the town’s particular project.
Those funds are now available—and the town is eligible to receive money.
The funding would cover 75 percent of the cost of the project (about $43,000), with the town having to contribute the remaining 25 percent (about $14,000).
The project would be paid for out of the 2013 budget.
Several councillors said the renovations tie into the town’s accessibility plan, and Coun. Rick Wiedenhoeft noted that as the town makes more of its buildings accessible, an opportunity for funding like this might not come along again in the future.
“If we can scrape together $14,000 in our budget, we may be saving the taxpayers of this town a lot of money in the future,” he argued.
“I would recommend we find the money in this year’s budget.”
Treasurer Laurie Witherspoon said the town does have a reserve fund for buildings, and the $14,000 could come out of that.
Kabel said the fund requires that if the town is successful in getting dollars, the project must start by March 31, 2014.
“So we may not even find out until 2014 that we are, in fact, successful at it,” he noted.
“I believe it’s going to come down to this: we’re going to be legislated to be accessible,” said Coun. Paul Ryan.
“If we’re not, we can’t rent the hall out, so here’s an opportunity and we better take it,” he stressed.
Council directed Kabel to contact Human Resources and Skills Development Canada and express interest in being reconsidered for extra funding for the East End Hall project.