Kelvin Caul once again was crowned as the champion logger, as well as the “safe logger,” following the 2010 loggers’ competition held Friday morning in conjunction with the Emo Fair.
Darryl Desserre was named rookie-of-the-year.
This was the 25th year of the popular competition. The late Gaston Godbout still holds many of the records, but Caul is catching up to him.
Gaston was the key person in getting this event started all those years ago. His family members still compete and many others show up as spectators to cheer the Godbouts on.
Congratulations, Kelvin, on another win!
- • • Highway 613 North is being resurfaced so there is a lot of loose gravel on the roadway. Therefore, a lot of windshields arre being hit by flying rocks. My windshield had two stone chips on Sunday evening, as have many other drivers I’ve spoken to. The speed has been posted at 60 km/h so please slow down to protect your vehicle and others.
- • • Sincere sympathy to the family and friends of Mickey Cross. I got to know Mickey when my cousin, Sharon, and I cleaned her home for her. She was a loving, caring lady who loved her family and would do anything for them., Her home was a hub-bub of family meals and visits that always included laughter. Mickey had a quick wit and an ever-present sparkle in her eye, and will be missed.
- • • The annual Devlin slo-pitch “fun day” will take place this Saturday (Aug. 28) beginning at 9 a.m. at the Devlin ball diamond. The first game will feature the Brew Jays versus Variety Zone, followed by the Village People meeting Shade at 10 a.m. and then Northwest Bay squaring off against the River Rats at 11 a.m.
- • • Happy 60th birthday to Bob Badiuk on Aug. 22. A gathering of friends and family helped him celebrate the milestone occasion that evening.
- • • Also “getting up there” is Bill Godin, who turned 50. A birthday party was held in his honour on Saturday, during which many laughs and memories were shared. Happy birthday, Bill, from your community!
- • • The lucky winner of the Emo Legion’s recent 50/50 draw was Taylor Meyers, who pocketed $1,013. Adelia Guba sold her the winning ticket.
- • • Cards played at the Emo Legion last Wednesday saw Jean Steele and Joan Buttazoni take the high score while the low went to Darlene Bruce and Nicole Drennan. Darlene also won the draw prize.
- • • The next “Country Jam” is slated for Sept. 17 at the Emo Legion. In other news, Bingo will begin for the season at the Emo Legion on Sept. 14, with doors opening at 6 p.m., while the next men’s breakfast will be held there Sept. 18.
- • • A reminder that school starts next Tuesday (Aug. 31) for all district students.
- • • Robin’s 2¢: “Oh, I’m so happy to see you,” a little boy said to his maternal grandmother. “Now maybe Daddy will do the trick he has been promising us.” “What trick is that?” the curious grandmother asked. “I heard him tell Mommy that he would climb the wall if you came to visit,” the boy replied.