Roach-eating winner dies
MIAMI—The winner of a roach-eating contest in South Florida died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said yesterday.
About 30 contestants ate the insects during Friday night’s contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach about 40 miles north of Miami.
Edward Archbold, 32, became ill shortly after the contest ended and collapsed in front of the store, according to a Broward Sheriff’s Office statement released yesterday.
He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Authorities were waiting for results of an autopsy to determine a cause of death.
“Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don’t think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat,” said Michael Adams, professor of entomology at the University of California at Riverside.
“Some people do have allergies to roaches but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects,” he noted.
None of the other contestants became ill.
Store owner Ben Siegel said Archbold did not appear to be sick before the contest.
He noted Archbold was selling the exotic prize to a friend who took him to the contest.