Shooting suspect facing 16 charges
MONTREAL—The man accused in the deadly shooting at a Parti Quebecois gathering has appeared at the Montreal courthouse and been slapped with 16 criminal charges.
The charges against Richard Henry Bain include first-degree murder, three counts of attempted murder, and arson.
Bain appeared calm and alert, wearing a white T-shirt to his court appearance.
He was represented by a legal aid lawyer. Bain’s case returns to court Oct. 11.
Bain, who turns 62 this weekend, arrived at the courthouse in the back seat of a police vehicle as media waited outside.
The only images of him circulating so far had been from the turbulent scene outside the Metropolis club, after one man was killed and another was injured during a political celebration.
An older photo of him standing next to Celine Dion also has been published in the local newspaper in Mont-Tremblant, Que., where he lives.
Little else is known about the fishing-camp owner and what possible motivations police might have identified for the shooting on election night.
A man burst into the back of the club and shot two people, killing a stage technician.
Police said the man then lit a fire in back of the club before he was tackled to the ground.
A pair of weapons were confiscated—a long gun and a handgun.
The suspect in Tuesday’s attack was wearing a dark housecoat and black facemask when he was tackled by police.
He shouted about an awakening of English-speaking Quebecers as he was whisked away.
A hospital statement said yesterday a man in police custody was undergoing an evaluation.