Construction work on the Noden Causeway continues to move according to schedule, and it’s currently expected to be fully open to traffic (and the speed reduction of 50 km/h removed) by mid-October.
MTO regional director Larry Lambert said Friday the first phase of the five year project—work on the 138-metre east low level portion—is 60 percent complete but moving along quickly.
Precast panels and a new steel railing system have been installed on the eastbound lane, which has been open to alternating one-way traffic since the beginning of September.
Meanwhile, the overlay on the westbound lane was scheduled to be placed yesterday and today (Sept. 23-24).
During the placement of the overlay, traffic is reduced to 10 km/h over the structure to prevent the fresh concrete from being adversely affected by vibration.
In addition to the temporary traffic signals that are in place, this reduction in speed was being controlled by flaggers and a pilot vehicle. Drivers could expect possible delays of up to 30 minutes at times, warned Lambert.
The overlay is done in preparation for the installation of pre-cast concrete deck panels on the westbound lane, which will start Sept. 29 or 30 and be completed in about six days.
The pre-cast concrete deck panels are an innovative approach, whereby they are “glued” on top of the existing deck—eliminating the more expensive and time-consuming process of conventional deck removal and asphalt paving, Lambert explained.
During panel placement, minimal disruption to traffic will occur.
In addition to the completion of the pre-cast panels and steel railing on the westbound lane, other work to be done in this first phase includes underside work on one pier cap, as well as the installation of a new steel beam guide rail at both approaches to the structure and a new asphalt surface, said Lambert.
Repairs over the next four years will entail deck and superstructure reconstruction of the 552-metre long west low level structure and the 614-metre long high level structure.
The work will be similar to that being carried out this year on the east low level structure, with a new widened deck as well as replacement of the existing barrier wall with an open steel railing system.
Work also will include repairs to the 1,100 steel piles that support the three structures to address corrosion below the waterline. The repair will utilize a unique polymer collaring system that will encapsulate the corroded portion of the pile.
As previously reported, the provincial government committed to reconstruct the entire Noden Causeway over five years.
Work on the Noden Causeway first began in 1958 and it was opened in 1965.
It was rehabilitated in the 1980s with new barrier walls and joints. But in recent years, the causeway has demonstrated drainage problems, as well as poor pavement and joint conditions.