You are here

Muskie boys snag pair of wins


The Muskie boys' hockey team snagged a pair of road wins last week to improve their NorWOSSA record to 11-2.

Facing the host Sioux Lookout Warriors (11-3) last night, the Muskies outlasted their high-powered offence in a 6-4 win.

After a shot from the point by Connor Nelson on a man advantage, Matt Spence, Jake Barker, and Cole Magill all batted at the loose puck until it found its way into the back of the net to open the scoring early in the first period.

The Warriors then forced Muskie forward Mikel Ward into turning the puck over in front of the net and buried it past goalie Darian Klem to knot it at 1-1 after 20 minutes.

The Muskies found themselves down by two men in the second frame but Peyton Avis stripped the puck from the Warriors before finding Jake Barker with a pass, who made no mistake in burying it to put the Muskies up 2-1.

Ward then redirected a Jace Jackson point blast home later in frame to stake the Muskies to a two-goal cushion after 40 minutes.

A turnover in the Muskies' zone led to the Warriors trimming it to 3-2 but Nelson scored on a man advantage to give Fort High a two-goal cushion once again early in the third.

A ferocious forecheck by Carson Noga freed the puck up for Brady Bodnarchuk, who buried one into the Warriors' net to push it to 5-2 near the midway point of the period.

The Warriors caught a lucky bounce and put a shot past Klem's blocker before pulling the goalie with less than three minutes to go and capitalizing again to trim it to 5-4.

But Barker replied for the Muskies shortly afterwards to cap the scoring.

The Muskies went into yesterday's game fresh off a comeback 5-4 shootout win over the host St. Thomas Aquinas Saints (7-5-0-1) on Thursday night.

It was a brutal start for the Muskies in that one as the hosts jumped out to a 3-0 lead during the first 10 minutes of the game.

Brett Riehl and Matt Warner tallied within the first two minutes of the first to prompt Muskie head coach Jordan Sinclair to call a time-out to settle his players down.

But it seemed to do little to stop the Saints' momentum as Mason Barclay beat Klem with a shot shortly after to put his side up by three.

Klem then was pulled in favour of Jaden Cooper.

The Muskies seemed to find their game after that and Barker finally got them on the board with 2:14 to go in the frame to trim it to 3-1 after 20 minutes.

Sheldon Kelly buried a feed from Austin Armstrong with six minutes to go in the second before Avis also tallied 1:18 later to knot it at 3-3.

But Barclay tallied his second of the night short-handed with just under a minute to go to put the Saints ahead by one after 40 minutes.

With time winding down, Nolan Mann buried a feed from Spence and Avis with 2:27 to go in the third to force overtime.

After overtime solved nothing, the game moved to the shootout.

Avis scored in the second round to put the Muskies ahead but the Saints' third shooter beat Cooper to knot it at 1-1.

But Barker came through with the winner in the sixth round to give the Muskies the extra point.

The Muskies resumed NorWOSSA action this afternoon against the Warriors in Sioux Lookout, then will conclude the regular season here Thursday when they welcome the fifth-place Dryden Eagles (4-8-1-0) at 7 p.m. at “The Duke” (Couchiching Arena).

Free story: 
Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Google icon
LinkedIn icon
Pinterest icon
Reddit icon
e-mail icon