User fees here could go up 2.6 percent next year.
Town council has directed division managers to affect the indicated user fee increase in the 2019 user fee schedule, with each executive committee to then review the impact of the increase on their respective division.
Council then will make a decision regarding any increase based on feedback from the executive committees.
This hike is reflective of the Thunder Bay Consumer Price Index (CPI) inflationary increase, deputy treasurer Dawn Galusha explained in a report to council.
The Ontario CPI inflationary increase from August, 2017-18 was 3.1 percent while the federal CPI was 2.8 for that same period.
Also at last night meeting (held a day later due to the Remembrance Day observance), council:
- passed a bylaw to establish a municipal accommodation tax (MAT);
- passed a bylaw to approve a contract with Toromont CAT for the purchase of a heavy-duty, tandem-drive articulated grader awarded through the tender process;
- passed a bylaw to approve an agreement with Ed Kaun & Sons Ltd. awarded through a tender process (this is for renovations and a building addition at the Fort Frances Cemetery);
- agreed to process the Minutes of Settlement (MOS) for properties located at 641 Second St. E. 635 Nelson St., 838 Williams Ave., and 633 Nelson St. (the total financial impact is $1,943.23, consisting of a reduction of municipal revenue of $1,761.26 and education revenue of $181.97);
- received the 2019 Northwestern Ontario Vacation Guide Map advertising request and directed that no further action be taken;
- received a request from The Sleepy Owl re: lane condition and directed that no further action be taken; and
- received a request from resident Cynthia Donald re: bike path signs and directed that no further action be taken.