The stretch of Third Street East from Williams Avenue to Colonization Road East will undergo a complete overhaul this year.
Town council is expected to award a tender to Bay City Contractors Inc., at an estimated cost of $2,183,666.80 (incl. HST and a $180,000 contingency allowance), at its regular meeting tonight.
This will be a full road reconstruction, including the replacement of the watermain, sanitary sewer, storm sewer, landscaping, and a new road surface.
The work is scheduled to start as soon as the frost is out of the ground and be completed by the end of August.
A public meeting to ensure all property owners in the neighbourhood get first-hand knowledge of the project, and have a chance to ask questions, will be held in the near future.
The council meeting will follow the committee of the whole meeting, which starts at 5:30 p.m. but will begin with an in-camera discussion of one item (approval of the 2018 Moffat Family Fund grant allocations).
Other business on council's agenda includes:
- a sponsorship request from the Rainy River Valley Agricultural Society re: the “Rainy River Valley Gold Rush Gala” on April 14 at the Emo-La Vallee Arena;
- a request for support of “Pride Week 2018” from Borderland Pride;
- the rescinding of a bylaw for an agreement with Fort Frances Tribal Area Health Authority for fire protection services;
- a recommendation re: a financial request in support of the District 1A Senior Games to be held here June 5-6;
- recommendations re: requests from Fort Frances Canadian Bass Championship committee;
- various contributions to reserve funds;
- a recommendation from the Economic Development Advisory Committee re: the installation of sewer and water services;
- a verbal update on capital projects;
- a recommendation re: invoice consideration for property on Olde Shambles Road;
- a bylaw to prohibit smoking at the Rainy Lake Square;
- a bylaw to establish 2018 tax ratios for prescribed classes;
- a bylaw to authorize the sale of certain lands in the industrial park to Ryan Mason Contracting Ltd.; and
- a bylaw to approve an agreement with Sunset Country Ford and Jim MacDonald Motors Ltd. for supply and delivery of vehicles.