You are here

Relay for Life makes big comeback


After a day that beat out all the forecasts, another Relay for Life is in the books.

“The beginning of the day did prove to be a bit of a battle with the wind,” Relay organizer Anneda Chabot admitted.

“But I am so proud of our committee and all of our teams for pulling together. The skies opened up and we got our day after watching the weather for an entire week before the event,” she added.

Even 24 hours before the Relay was set to run, the weather forecast called for rain, and possible thunderstorms, for most of the afternoon. However, following one setback earlier in the morning, the afternoon was sunny and warm.

And if the Relay organizing committee was pleased to beat the weather, they were even more excited when it came to their fundraising goals. Chabot pointed out that the committee had set a $15,000 goal for the day across pledges and other fundraising efforts.

“At the end of the night, when the majority of the money had been calculated, we were extremely excited to find out that we had more than doubled that amount at just over $30,000 coming in,” she said.

The day had plenty on offer for participants and visitors alike, from food vendors to a penny table, and Chabot said she was pleased with the turnout overall.

“With the Lions Club golf tournament as well as a pow-wow happening at the same time, it seemed we had a good number of people attend,” she remarked.

“We had seven teams total, as well as about five different vendors. Some of the days' highlights were Cassandra Armstrong singing on stage . . . as well as our lovely speakers and some fantastic activities consisting of a frozen t-shirt game, a newspaper lip sync fashion show as well as a scavenger hunt leading us into the luminary ceremony, which John Price did so inspirationally.”

Dawn Gray and Darcy Banman made up the team who unfroze their t-shirt the quickest, and Freeda Carmody wowed her way to the top of the newspaper lip sync pageant with her dance routine set to Madonna's “Like a Virgin.”

Chabot said the return to the Point helped to make the day as special, and successful, as it was.

“When the committee decided to pull together for another year of Relay, we knew that if we wanted it to continue that we had to bring the old back, and not just the location,” Chabot explained.

“We ended up getting older team members back and everyone was thrilled to be heading back to the Point Park where it all began.”

Neila Booth was one of the participants who was happy to be back at the Point, walking the road with her group of ladies as the late afternoon sun started to fade away behind clouds that still held off the rain.

“We really enjoyed it,” Booth said of the day.

“Today the weather was perfect.”

Though the group couldn't remember exactly how many years they had each participated in Relay for Life, they were all in agreement on why they walked.

“Too many lives have been affected,” Booth said.

“We've all been touched by some sort of cancer and to me, this brings awareness and it shows that we can come together for support and raise our funds and maybe get closer to a cure.”

Not content to sit on their laurels, the Relay for Life committee is already looking ahead.

“We are already in the planning of a Relay for Life 2020 that we feel will take place yet again at the Point Park,” Chabot said.

“We hope that our devoted and awesome teams that have stuck with us throughout the years will come back next year, as well as many newcomers as possible. Life is bigger than cancer and we will continue to do this to find a cure.”

Free story: 
Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Google icon
LinkedIn icon
Pinterest icon
Reddit icon
e-mail icon