Local groups and organizations this evening will receive shares of the $65,000 the Town of Fort Frances was granted by the Moffat Family Fund this year.
A call for applications was put out in this spring and clubs, groups, and organizations that help children, families, and the “less advantaged” had until March 22 to apply.
A total of 17 applications came in this year, of which 15 were successful.
Mayor Roy Avis or a designate will hand out cheques to those successful applicants at tonight's council meeting.
The recipients have been notified to be at the meeting but their names—and how much they've received—isn't being revealed publicly prior to tonight.
This portion of the meeting is scheduled to start at 7 p.m.
Tonight's council meeting will follow the committee of the whole meeting, which starts at 5:30 p.m. but will begin with an in-camera discussion of three items, including Agency One matters and two potential acquisitions or dispositions of land.
Other business on tonight's agenda includes:
- a public meeting re: tax adjustment application for 700 Scott St. (2018);
- a presentation of the 2017 draft financial statements by BDO Canada LLP;
- an activity report from the Rainy River Future Development Corp.;
- a request from the OPP for access to a mapping layer;
- a letter from R. Belluz, president of Belluz Concrete and Rentals Ltd., re: water service installation;
- a verbal update on capital projects;
- a recommendation to move a handicap parking stall on the 300 block of Scott Street;
- a temporary traffic control bylaw amendment re: the Mill Road overpass reconstruction;
- a recommendation re: donation to Watten Fire Department;
- a recommendation re: a naloxone agreement with the Northwestern Health Unit;
- a recommendation to process Minutes of Settlement for properties located at 5 Mile Dock Road West (2018), 731 Riverview Dr. (2018), 1044 Cornwall Ave. N. (2018); 512 Church St. (2018), 1210 Olde Shambles Rd. (2018), and 1287 Idylwild Dr. (2018) as received;
- a recommendation to receive the amended property assessment notices for properties located at 1012 Victoria Ave., 1167 River Rd. W., 1008 Walker Ave., 353 Scott St., 605 McIrvine Rd., 375 Scott St., and 740 Sixth St. W. for the 2018 taxation year as received from MPAC;
- a recommendation to add eSend and Virtual City Hall modules as components of the Microsoft Dynamics GP Diamond financial software package with the amount of $30,690 to be funded utilizing the Corporate Projects Reserve Fund, with the annual costs of $4,620 funded through the treasury operating budget; and
- a recommendation to approve the recently-reviewed Workplace Violence and Workplace Harassment policies.