Council will decide tonight on whether to allow recreational cannabis retail stores within town limits.
The Planning & Development executive committee is recommending council pass a resolution allowing cannabis retail stores in the Town of Fort Frances and direct administration to provide written notice to the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario, notifying it of the municipality's decision to opt-in to allow retail cannabis stores by the Jan. 22 deadline, as per the Cannabis Licence Act, 2018.
The executive committee also is recommending council defer development of a municipal retail sales policy for recreational cannabis to a later date.
Tonight's council meeting will follow the committee of the whole meeting, which gets underway at 5:30 p.m.
Four in-camera item are on the agenda (a personnel matter, an appointment to a board/committee, a property matter verbal update, and Agency One matters).
Other business on tonight's council agenda includes:
- presentation of the quarterly economic development activity report from the Rainy River Future Development Corp.;
- a report re: municipal reporting burden;
- a recommendation re: a donation request from the Fort Frances Choraliers;
- a recommendation re: a new intern for the town's Information Technology department;
- a recommendation re: updated WHMIS Compliance and Critical Injury Reporting and Investigation policies;
- a recommendation re: the 2019 interim tax levy;
- a recommendation for the capital purchase of a sidewalk sander and sweeper attachment for the trackless sidewalk machine in advance of the approval of the 2019 capital budget, at an estimated cost of $40,000;
- a recommendation re: columbarium construction at Riverview Cemetery;
- a request from Randy Thoms re: the north-end rink;
- an e-mail from R. Van Drunen re: noise bylaw concerns;
- a letter from the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Foundation re: a financial donation to support cardiovascular surgery;
- a request from Noris Piccinato re: the waiving of rental fees and extending hours for an upcoming Legion convention;
- an e-mail from K. Rogoza re: a sewer invoice; and
- a request from G. Knowles, co-chair of Heart of the Continent Partnership, re: annual dues.