If you are a senior with a mental health issue, there are treatment options and strategies that can help:
- Talk to your family doctor
They can be a great resource and can link you to other professionals, if needed.
If you are in distress, go to the nearest hospital emergency department, call 9-1-1, or contact a crisis line.
- Talk with supportive friends and family
Share your feelings with them. Explain what you need and let them help you.
Loved ones can offer both emotional and practical support, like scheduling appointments or finding services.
They also may observe early changes in a senior’s well-being, including setbacks and improvements.
- Connect with others who have personal experience with a mental health problem
Learn more about their recovery journey.
Maintaining positive mental health is important for all of us.
Some everyday tips include:
- eat healthy foods, be active, and get enough sleep;
- build strong support networks—make plans with friends or visit a neighbour;
- get involved—volunteer or join a club; and
- build resilience and healthy self-esteem.
For more information about services in your community, visit www.cmhaff.ca