With bow hunting season underway and rifle hunting season coming up, the OPP is reminding hunters that safety needs to be a first priority.
There are a number of ways hunters can keep themselves, and those around them, safe.
- telling someone where you will be hunting and when you will be returning;
- wearing hunter orange;
- handling firearms with care and attention at all times;
- never shooting unless you're sure of your target and what lies beyond;
- carrying a survival kit and a small first-aid kit with you at all times; and
- never drinking alcohol while hunting.
The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry, in partnership with the OPP, is encouraging all hunters to become familiar with all safety rules and resources that are available to them so they have a safe hunting season.
Hunters buy about 600,00 licences to hunt in Ontario annually, generating roughly $26 million in revenue.
To report unlawful night hunting or any other illegal and unsafe hunting activity, call the MNRF TIPS line toll-free at 1-877-847-7667 or contact the OPP at 1-888-310-1122.
To remain anonymous, call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS).