The Rainy River District Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police has partnered with McDonald's Restaurant to bring positive ticketing to the Fort Frances area this summer.
In addition to its outstanding public awareness, education and community engagement benefits, the personal impact achieved one youth at a time, by an OPP officer issuing a positive ticket to a child, remains priceless.
A youth may receive a positive ticket from an OPP officer for any number of positive behaviours:
- Practising personal safety such as wearing a bicycle helmet;
- Doing a neighbourly deed or participating in an act of kindness;
- Participating in community activities;
- Demonstrating community pride i.e. picking up trash;
- Observing school crossing rules; or
- As an “icebreaker” to establish a rapport with kids in their patrol areas.
Members of the public are encourage to engage officers while on patrol if they have seen a youth do something positive they feel should be reinforced with a positive ticket.