There were no new fires in the Northwest Region yesterday, and only one fire remains active as of this morning.
Nipigon District fire #7 is a suspected lightning-caused fire that burned cut wood about 75 km northeast of Thunder Bay.
It is “under control” at 5.5 hectares in size.
Here are some tips on how to safely enjoy your campfire and avoid the costs and dangers that can arise from an unextinguished or unattended campfire:
- Choose your site carefully. Select a site with easy access to water that is sheltered from high winds. The fire must be built on bare rock or non-combustible material.
- Prepare the site. Clear a one metre space around your campfire site and remove all pine needles, grasses, leaves and twigs.
- Keep your fire small. By law, your campfire cannot exceed one metre in height and one metre in diameter.
- Stay nearby. Never leave your campfire unattended.
- Put your fire out with water.