The Rainy River District OPP is reminding residents to lock their vehicles to prevent theft.
Over the past few weeks, police in the area have received more than 10 reports of vehicles being entered in Fort Frances.
Officers will be participating in the “Lock It or Lose It” program in the coming days and weeks to educate the public about the risk of leaving their vehicles unlocked and becoming a victim to property crime.
Under the “Lock It or Lose It” program, parked vehicles are examined to confirm they are locked and that no valuables have been left in plain view.
A “Lock It or Lose It” notice is placed on every vehicle checked which specifies what safety precautions were ignored, as well as simple prevention tips which drivers can use to protect their vehicles and valuables from theft.
By taking simple preventive measures, such as confirming your vehicle is locked and by placing items of value out of sight or removing valuable items from your vehicle altogether, victimization can be avoided.
You can help prevent theft by following some crime prevention tips:
- Always roll up your vehicle's windows, lock the doors, and pocket the key.
- If you have a garage, use it and lock the door as well as your vehicle.
- Keep your vehicle registration certificate/proof of insurance on you at all times.
- Always park your vehicle in a well-lit area.
- Never leave valuable objects or packages in full view (put them in the trunk).
- Never leave your vehicle unattended while it is running.
Police are asking the public to do its part to protect your vehicle and vehicle contents from theft.