The hustle and bustle of the holiday season has started, but try not to let that be a distraction causing you to become a victim of theft.
The OPP is encouraging citizens to “Lock It or Lose It” to protect their vehicle contents from theft.
Under the “Lock It or Lose It” program, parked vehicles are examined to confirm whether they are locked and that no valuables have been left in plain view.
A “Lock It or Lose It” notice is placed on every vehicle checked which specifies which safety precautions were ignored.
It also provides simple prevention tips that drivers can use to protect their vehicles and valuables from theft.
By taking simple, preventive measures, such as confirming your vehicle is locked and by placing items of value out of sight or removing them from your vehicle altogether, victimization can be avoided.
You can help prevent theft by following some crime prevention tips:
- Always roll up your vehicle’s windows, lock the doors, and pocket the key.
- If you have a garage, use it and lock the door, as well as your vehicle.
- Keep your vehicle registration certificate/proof of insurance on you at all times.
- Always park your vehicle in a well-lit area.
- Never leave valuable objects or packages in full view (put them in the trunk).
- Never leave your vehicle unattended while it is running.
Be sure to take precautions to protect your vehicle and contents from theft, particularly during the holiday season.