Once again, the Rainy River District OPP is reminding residents to beware of a telephone scam in which someone, claiming to be from the Canada Revenue Agency, calls to say you owe the government money and that payment has to be made immediately.
The OPP would like to provide some additional information to better equip district residents to identify those communications that do not come from the CRA.
The CRA does not do the following:
- it will not request personal information of any kind from a taxpayer by e-mail;
- it will not divulge taxpayer information to another person unless formal authorization is provided by the taxpayer; and
- it will not leave any personal information or threatening messages on an answering machine.
When in doubt, ask yourself the following:
- Am I expecting any calls from the CRA?
- Does this sound too good to be true?
- Is the caller able to identify themselves with an ID number that you can verify?
- Is the requester asking for information I would not include with my tax return?
- Is the requester asking for information I know the CRA already has on file for me?
- How did the requester get my e-mail address?
- Am I confident I know who is asking for the information?
For more information or to report a fraud, call the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501 or visit www.antifraudcentre.ca