You are here

Enhanced feed ban help guard against BSE

    Canada’s New Government is enhancing measures to more quickly eliminate bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) from Canadian cattle and to protect producers from the potential consequences of receiving contaminated feed.     Effective July 12, 2007, certain cattle tissues that are capable of transmitting BSE, known as specified risk material (SRM), are being banned from all animal feed, pet food and fertilizer. Under the enhanced feed ban, there are new regulations for anyone handling, transporting or disposing of SRM.    These feed ban enhancements will also impact the way Canadian livestock producers operate. Permits will be needed to transport or dispose of cattle carcasses off a producer’s property.      Under the enhanced regulations, a Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) permit is needed to transport SRM in any form, including whole cattle carcasses that leave the farm.     On-farm disposal of cattle carcasses is still allowed under the enhanced feed ban, and may be done without at permit; however, it’s important to keep in mind that disposal methods must comply with provincial and municipal standards and requirements.    If cattle die in transit or at a location away from the farm, a CFIA permit is needed to move the carcass from the location where the animal is determined to be dead.     In situations like this, producers have three options to consider: on-site disposal, off-site disposal at a CFIA-approved SRM disposal facility or disposal on the premises where the animal was last living.    Plan ahead. If you have normal business patterns (i.e. you frequently bring cattle to the same auction market), it may be worthwhile to apply for an annual permit, which allows you to transport unlimited SRM from a specified location back to your farm.     Discuss your needs with a CFIA district inspector to determine what’s best for you.    If you take bovine mortalities to a veterinarian off the farm for post mortems, you will need a CFIA permit to transport the carcass to the clinic and back to the farm (if applicable). Similarly, your veterinarian requires a CFIA permit to accept SRM in any form.     Also keep in mind that carcasses containing SRM must be marked with a visible dye. Make sure you have a supply of dye that is noticeable on all colours of cattle, from black to white.    If a bovine animal dies in transit, or at a veterinary clinic or auction market outside of normal business hours, the producer should call the CFIA at 1-800-442-2342 to request a SRM permit.     The district inspector will assign a permit number, which will be valid for 48 hours or less.     In time-sensitive situations during normal business hours, producers can call the nearest CFIA district office directly to request a SRM permit. A list of CFIA district offices is available at    Additional information about the enhanced feed ban is available online, at    Dates to remember     •July 24–Soil and Crop Tour. Begins 10 a.m.         •July 24–Emo Research Station Open House, 7 p.m.

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Google icon
LinkedIn icon
Pinterest icon
Reddit icon
e-mail icon