VICTORIA—Rescuers have called off the search for a small plane with two people aboard that disappeared more than a week ago while flying over southeastern British Columbia.
The Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre in Victoria said in a recorded message that crews made the difficult decision to suspend the exhaustive operation as of yesterday afternoon.
Police have said 28-year-old pilot Dominic Neron and 31-year-old passenger Ashley Bourgeault were flying from Penticton, B.C. to Edmonton on Nov. 25 when the single-engine plane vanished.
The rescue centre said Royal Canadian Air Force and Parks Canada aircraft have flown 120 hours in challenging conditions covering a search area of more than 22,000 square km.
Rescue centre spokeswoman Katelyn Moores previously said the search was narrowed to a region 18 km outside Revelstoke based on information from radar and a cellphone tower that picked up a signal from the pilot's phone.
The disappearance is being transferred to the RCMP.