You are here

Ford breaks silence on allegation facing Wilson

Category: 

ASTRA, Ont.—A senior Ontario cabinet minister was forced to step down last week after facing an allegation of sexual misconduct, Premier Doug Ford said yesterday, breaking his government's days-long silence on the controversial matter.

Ford's office said Friday that Jim Wilson was resigning immediately from his role as economic development minister and the Progressive Conservative caucus to seek treatment for addiction issues.

Speaking at an event in eastern Ontario, the premier said yesterday that his office initially had refused to confirm published reports about the allegation against Wilson in order to protect the identity of the complainant.

“What is irresponsible is if I was to give the media the story, against the wishes of the people who had the courage to come forward during these stressful times,” Ford said.

“I think it would be irresponsible for the media, irresponsible for the party, and as the leader I will not do that.”

Ford said he acted decisively as soon as he learned about the allegation.

“We were swift and asked him to resign," he remarked. "We launched the investigation immediately with a very reputable investigation team, former police officers that deal with this on a frequent basis.”

The premier would not identify the firm conducting the probe nor commit to releasing the results.

Ontario's opposition parties criticized Ford for the way he handled the situation.

NDP deputy leader Sara Singh said her party believed the premier was trying to protect Wilson.

“Mr. Ford absolutely could have been honest, and told Ontarians that there were serious allegations against his most senior minister, and could have done that without revealing the identity of anyone impacted,” she argued.

“He didn't—he chose to mislead the public to protect Mr. Wilson.”

Interim Liberal leader John Fraser said the government should have addressed the issue of the allegation five days ago when it first announced Wilson's resignation.

Dragging out the situation isn't good for anyone, including the complainant, he reasoned.

Wilson, who has been a legislator for 28 years, stepped down Friday—mere hours after appearing with Ford at a border crossing near Sarnia, Ont., where they unveiled a sign advertising Ontario as “Open for Business.”

Free story: 
Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Google icon
LinkedIn icon
Pinterest icon
Reddit icon
e-mail icon