Invites applications for the position of
ORAL HISTORY INTERN
The primary focus of this position is to facilitate engagement with
Rainy River First Nations (RRFN) community members for the upcoming
Preserving our Stories oral history project. The position is part of a twoyear funded project through the Ontario Arts Council - Indigenous Culture
Fund and will require 35 hours of work per week at a rate of $22.00/
hour. This position will run from May 1, 2019 until April 30, 2021. The first
year of the project is focused on content development (interviewing,
collecting stories, facilitating community meetings) while the second
year is focused on data curation and digitization of collected material.
The successful candidate will follow direction from the Curator of
- Engage with RRFN community members (ranging from youth to Elders).
This will include conducting interviews;
- Facilitate monthly community meetings (this includes creating posters,
buying supplies and gifts when needed, etc.);
- Conduct presentations on the goals and progress of the project at
- Monitor and record budgets and submit reports;
- Maintain detailed project records and minutes from community meetings;
- Use a variety of audio and visual recording equipment; transcribing
- Minimum Grade 12;
- Minimum of 1-year experience in dealing with the public;
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with staff and
- Excellent verbal communication skills;
- Knowledge of Indigenous culture & Rainy River First Nations is an asset;
- Must be comfortable working with individuals of varying age groups;
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team;
- Must be a respectful individual;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office programs is an asset.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
- Must be able to provide current Criminal Reference Check satisfactory
- Must adhere to the Rainy River First Nations’ Drug Testing Policy;
- Must have the ability to work flexible hours which may include evenings
- Must have valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle or ability to find
alternate means of transportation.
Please apply in writing by 4:00 PM on Friday May 24, 2019. Applications
must include a cover letter, current resume, and three (3) employment
related references (two of which must be from a current or recent
supervisor) with permission to contact these references.
PLEASE SUBMIT APPLICATION TO:
Verna DeBungie, Human Resources
Rainy River First Nations
P. O. Box 450
Emo ON, P0W 1E0
For further information, please contact Verna DeBungie, Human
Resources Officer at (807) 482-2479 ext. 249.
We thank all applicants but only those invited for an interview
will be contacted.
We would like to acknowledge funding support from the Ontario Arts Council,
an agency of the Government of Ontario.