First Step Women’s Shelter has the following position available:
Full Time Permanent Position
First Step Women’s Shelter is seeking a Counsellor to provide ongoing one
on one support and feminist counselling to residents, ex-residents and
non-residents who are dealing with issues related to women that have
experienced, or are experiencing abuse and/or sexual assault, including
historic sexual abuse in childhood in order that they may live free of
Shifts will be scheduled from Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, up to
40 hours per week. Rotation of hours may change as per Shelter’s needs.
SALARY: $21.56 per hour.
- Short-term goal-focused counselling to women in the shelter and
community who have experienced abuse;
- Mid and long-term counselling to assist abused women to improve
emotional well-being and healing;
- Sexual assault counselling provided to women who have been sexually
abused or those who have experienced sexual abuse in their childhood;
- To support the development of a personal safety plan for women and
- Outreach to women including promoting shelter services;
- To be familiar with the resources within the Sioux Lookout area and
surrounding areas in order to provide information, and make appropriate
referrals to community services;
- To facilitate support groups and workshops;
- To participate in the Shelter, front-line program on a regular basis and/or
- To provide conﬁdential services to women and operationalize within a
- Completion of a degree or diploma in the human services ﬁeld;
- Preference will be given to candidates with a Registered Social
- Two to ﬁve years’ experience working with women who have
- Feminist analysis on violence against women issues;
- Excellent communications skills both verbally and written;
- Experience in Group Facilitation, public speaking and program delivery;
- Experience and knowledge in crisis intervention;
- Must have an anti-racist/anti oppression framework;
- A valid license and access to a vehicle is required.
Please submit a cover letter outlining your qualiﬁcations
And a copy of your resume no later than April 20, 2018 at 9:00 a.m.
Email: Tana Troniak at email@example.com or
By Mail: First Step Women’s Shelter, Box 1208, Sioux Lookout, ON
P8T 1B8 Attention: Tana
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected
for an interview will be contacted.