First Step Women’s Shelter has the following position available:
SEXUAL ABUSE COUNSELLOR
Two Full-Time Positions
First Step Women’s Shelter is currently accepting applications for two
Sexual Assault Counsellors. These positions are full time, that report directly
to the Executive Director. Successful candidates should feel inspired by our
work and have a genuine desire to support our mission, vision and values.
They will be driven to be part of developing and rolling out a successful
new program and will also have a warmth about them that helps foster
a safe, supportive environment. This new program will provide support,
advocacy, and outreach to those experiencing sexual violence, and those
at-risk, in Sioux Lookout and the surrounding areas.
- To provide individual counselling and crisis intervention to victims/
survivors who are at risk of, or have experienced, childhood sexual abuse,
sexual violence and/or relationship violence;
- Provide trauma-informed, intersectional care and stabilizing services
- Provide advocacy, accompaniments and referrals for clients/survivors of
violence regarding social housing, police reporting, and other relevant
social service systems;
- Maintain detailed and accurate statistics and written reports;
- Community development, consultation and coordination of educational/
- Design, plan and implement community outreach bringing awareness to
- To engage in the Shelter program on a regular basis and/or when required.
- Will be required to work ﬂexible hours including some evenings and
- Familiarity with community services within Sioux Lookout and
surrounding area, particularly Indigenous-speciﬁc resources.
- A post-secondary diploma/degree in Social Work, Indigenous Learning, or
related ﬁeld and a minimum of two (2) years counselling experience with
specialized training to assess and treat sexual abuse / sexual violence;
- Preference will be given to candidates with a Registered Social
- Strong understanding of root causes of sexual violence from an integrated
feminist, anti-racist, anti-oppression perspective;
- Proven experience in and the knowledge of victims’ issues (such as child
abuse, sexual assault, domestic violence, and homicide); the ability to
apply that knowledge respecting Indigenous victims/families of violence;
- Knowledge of Indigenous culture, tradition and the ability to speak an
Indigenous language is considered an asset;
- Exceptional communications skills both verbally and written;
- Excellent organizational, time-management, communication, and
- High level of competency with computers and technology;
- Experience in group facilitation, public speaking and program delivery;
- A valid license and access to a vehicle is required;
- Possess a current Criminal Record Check including a Vulnerable
- Based on qualiﬁcations and experience.
Please submit a cover letter outlining your qualiﬁcations
And a copy of your resume no later than April 20, 2018 at 9:00 a.m.
Email: Tana Troniak at email@example.com or
By Mail: First Step Women’s Shelter, Box 1208, Sioux Lookout, ON
P8T 1B8 Attention: Tana
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected
for an interview will be contacted.