Tuesday, July 28, 2015
- The Fort Frances Canadian Bass Championship continues today and tomorrow (July 24-25) under the big tent at the Sorting Gap Marina. See page B1 of Wednesday’s Times for the full schedule of events.
- The annual “Quest for the Best” singing contest, once again being held in conjunction with the Fort Frances Canadian Bass Championship, is set for today (July 24) at 7:30 p.m. under the big tent at the Sorting Gap Marina. V.I.P. tickets cost $20 each while general admission tickets cost $15, which are available at the Fort Frances Chamber of Commerce office (upstairs at the Northern Lights Credit Union) and Northwoods Gallery & Gifts.
- The Clover Valley Farmers’ Market will be open Saturday, July 25 from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. at its McIrvine Road location.
- The “world famous” Kiwanis steak fry will go Saturday, July 25 from 4:30-7:30 p.m. under the big tent at the Sorting Gap Marina in conjunction with the Fort Frances Canadian Bass Championship. The cost is $15/meal, with only 50 meals available. Pre-sales at Lidkea Optometry and Investors Group (Robin Wright).
- Stock car racing resumes Saturday, July 25 at the Emo Speedway. Hot laps are at 7 p.m., with the first race at 7:30 (weather permitting). Admission is $10 for adults, $6 for students/seniors, and $4 for kids aged six-12 (those five and under are free). A family package also is offered for $25.
- “FlashMob” will close out the Fort Frances Canadian Bass Championship on Saturday, July 25 starting at 9 p.m. under the big tent at the Sorting Gap Marina. Admission is $10.
- Duncan Keith will be bringing the Stanley Cup to Fort Frances on Saturday, Aug. 1. The program starts at 10 a.m. at the ’52 Canadians Arena. Complete details available at www.facebook.com/lordstanleyinff
- The Halkirk Fire Protection Team’s annual fish fry is set for Saturday, Aug. 1 from noon-6 p.m. at the Bear Pass Fire Hall on Bear Pass Road. There also will be a penny auction and homemade pies. Cost is $12 for adults and $5 for kids (dessert included). No dogs, please.
- The Rainy Lake Triathlon—featuring a quarter-mile swim, 11-mile bike ride, and 5K run—is set for Saturday, Aug. 8 at City Beach in Ranier. Open to ages 13 and up, it is a fundraiser for the Backus Community Center in International Falls. Visit www.rainylakeraces.com for more details.
- “Interior Castle,” an international Christian band, will hold a concert Sunday, Aug. 9 at 7 p.m. at St. Mary’s parish. Free-will donations accepted to cover the cost.
- The first-annual Fort Frances Hall of Fame induction dinner/ceremony will be held Saturday, Aug. 15 at the Copper River Inn. Tickets cost $35 each, which are available at Taggs Source for Sports or by contacting Terry Ogden (276-3050) or Dave Egan.
- The annual “First Rider” program—for first-time school bus riders this fall—will be held Tuesday, Aug. 18 at 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. in the boardroom at the Education Centre (school board office). It also will be held Wednesday, Aug. 19 at 2 p.m. at the Stratton Best Start Hub. Those interested must register by Wednesday, Aug. 12 at 4 p.m. by calling 274-6664 or 1-800-214-1753 ext. 5040.