Friday, February 27, 2015
- The Muskie senior girls’ volleyball team will host the Westgate Tigers (Thunder Bay) in the best-of-three NWOSSAA final. Game 1 goes today (Feb. 27) at 3 p.m., with Game 2 on Saturday, Feb. 28 at 10 a.m. Game 3, if necessary, will follow at 2 p.m.
- The Borderland Snowmobile Club will hold a “Choose Your Adventure” poker run on Saturday, Feb. 28. Start/finish at the Emo Inn and ride to Fort Frances or Nestor Falls or Rainy River. Registration is from 9-10 a.m., with dinner to be held afterwards. Hands will be $20 for the first one and $20 for another three. If you don’t have a trail permit, event passes will be available for $35. Pre-register by contacting John Homer at 276-6526 or via e-mail at www.borderlandsnowmobileclub.ca
- A feather painting workshop will be held Saturday, Feb. 28 from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. For more info, call Jean Richards at 275-8930.
- The Fort Frances Lakers will face the Thunder Bay North Stars in SIJHL action on Saturday, Feb. 28 at 7:30 p.m. at the Ice For Kids Arena. Tickets cost $10 for adults and $7 for students.
- The Muskie boys’ hockey team will host the Dryden Eagles in the third-and-deciding game of their NorWOSSA final on Sunday, March 1 at 3:15 p.m. at the Ice For Kids Arena.
- The Borderland Soccer Association will hold its annual general meeting Sunday, March 1 at 6:30 p.m. at La Place Rendez-Vous. Several executive positions currently are open and team reps are strongly urged to attend.
- Town council will hold its next regular meeting Monday, March 2 at the Civic Centre. It will follow the committee of the whole meeting, which begins at 5:30 p.m.
- Kids & Company presents “Ukele Magic,” featuring James Hill, on Monday, March 2 at 6:30 p.m. at the Townshend Theatre. Tickets cost $10 each, which are available at Revco Carpet, the Fort Frances Public Library, and Betty’s, The Coffee Landing in International Falls, and at the door (children three and under are free). For more info, call Tara (274-4377) or Leslie (275-5199) or visit www.kidsandco.ca
- Award-winning author Joseph Boyden will hold a public presentation Tuesday, March 3 at 7 p.m. at the Townshend Theatre. Admission is free and everyone is welcome.
- The Rainy River District School Board will hold its regular monthly meeting Tuesday, March 3 at 7 p.m. at Donald Young School in Emo.
- A cattle information seminar, presented by the Nor-West Animal Clinic, will be held Tuesday, March 3 at 7 p.m. at the Emo Legion.
- The Fort Frances Lakers will host the English River Miners in SIJHL action on Tuesday, March 3 at 7:30 p.m. at the Ice For Kids Arena. Tickets cost $10 for adults and $7 for students.
- The annual World Day of Prayer service will be held Friday, March 6 at 2 p.m. at the Zion Lutheran Church (1105 Scott St.)
- The 33rd-annual Nestor Falls Winter Carnival will run March 7-8. See page B2 of Wednesday’s Times for a schedule of events.
- The Rainy River District School Board will conduct a school attendance zone review of the Riverview/Sturgeon Creek boundary on Monday, March 9 at 7 p.m. at the Sturgeon Creek gym. Visit www.rrdsb.com to learn more about the review.
- The 19th-annual Rainy River District Business Awards, presented by the Fort Frances Chamber of Commerce, will be held Thursday, March 12 at La Place Rendez-Vous, with cocktails at 6 p.m. and dinner at 6:30. Tickets cost $45 for Chamber members and $50 for non-members. The deadline for award nominations is Feb. 18 (nomination forms available at the Chamber office or online at www.fortfranceschamber.com/events
- A fish derby—featuring walleye, northern, and bass—will be held Saturday, March 21 from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. at the Aon Landing in Morson. Entry fee is $30 for adults and $10 for kids 12 and under, with advance tickets sold until March 20. Canteen available. For more info, call Wes at 271-2717 or 488-9725.
- Northwoods Gallery & Gifts presents its 2015 Bridal Show on Wednesday, March 25 from 6-8 p.m. Pre-register by calling 274-9224.