Monday, March 30, 2015
- Registration for community garden plots runs today (March 27) until 6:30 p.m. at the UNFC’s “Head Start” program (308 Butler Ave.) and again Wednesday, April 1 from 11 a.m.-4:30 p.m. at the Métis Hall on Armit Avenue. The cost is $15 for an adult plot (10’ x 20’) and $5 for a kids’ one. For more info, call Elaine Fischer at the Northwestern Health Unit office (274-9827).
- An Ethiopian traditional dinner and business launch presentation will be held today (March 27) at 5:30 p.m. at the Zion Lutheran Church (1105 Scott St.) Tickets cost $20/person, which are available at From the Grind Up. You also can call 276-8452 or go to Tizita’a Catering on Facebook.
- The Fort Frances Lakers will host the Thunder Bay North Stars in Game 1 of their best-of-seven semi-final series today (March 27) at 7:30 p.m. at the Ice For Kids Arena, with Game 2 going tomorrow (March 28) at 7:30 p.m. Tickets cost $10 for adults and $5 for students.
- A handmade arts and crafts festival will be held Saturday, March 28 from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. (unless everything is sold by then) at the old CN station.
- The local celiac/gluten intolerant group will hold its next get-together Tuesday, March 31 at 7 p.m. in Room 4 at Donald Young School in Emo. For more info, call Dolores (274-0797) or Gemma (274-9592).
- The annual Good Friday breakfast, hosted by the Fort Frances Kiwanis Club, will be held Friday, April 3 at 8 a.m. at La Place Rendez-Vous. This year’s guest speaker will be Pastor Brian Keffer of the Zion Lutheran Church. Tickets cost $13 each, will are available at Lidkea Optometry and Green’s Brand Source Home Furnishings.
- The second-annual “Egg-Stravaganza,” hosted by the Fort Frances Kiwanis Club, will be held Saturday, April 4 from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. on Scott Street.
- The Northern Lights Credit Union will hold its annual general meeting Wednesday, April 8 at 7 p.m. at La Place Rendez-Vous.
- The Thunder Bay Chill will hold a youth soccer development satellite camp at Fort High on Saturday, April 11 at 10 a.m. (for ages four-eight) and noon (ages nine-16). The cost is $35 (which includes a shirt), with the deadline to register being March 29. Register online at www.thunderbaychill.com
- The Border Skating Club’s 43rd-annual ice show, this year entitled “From Books to Blades” and featuring Canadian Olympian Kaetlyn Osmond, will be held Saturday, April 11 at 7 p.m. and again Sunday, April 12 at 2 p.m. at the Ice For Kids Arena. Tickets cost $15 for adults and $10 for children four-12 and seniors aged 65+ (those three and under are free), which are available at the front desk of the Memorial Sports Centre.
- “Bail or Jail,” presented by the Fort Frances Voyageur Lions Club, will be held Saturday, May 23 from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. at the Memorial Sports Centre. If you’s like to participate, or for more info, call Bill Michl (276-1334), Dale Gill (275-8844), or Gaby Hanzuk (274-3764).
- The annual Emo Walleye Classic will be held June 4-6 (note the new dates). Every team that registers before April 1 will be entered in a new early-bird draw for $500. For more info, call 276-4128 or visit www.emowalleye.com