Monday, December 22, 2014
- The Muskie boys’ hockey team will host Red Lake Falls in exhibition action today (Dec. 19) at 7:15 p.m. at the Ice For Kids Arena. Admission is $7 for adults and $2 for students (those under 10 are free).
- The Fort Frances Lakers will host the Thunder Bay North Stars in SIJHL action Saturday, Dec. 20 at 7:30 p.m. at the Ice For Kids Arena. Tickets cost $10 for adults and $5 for students.
- A snowmobile drivers’ training course for ages 12 and up, hosted by the Borderland Snowmobile Club, will be held Monday, Dec. 22 starting at 9 a.m. in the boardroom at Gillons’ (lunch provided). The fee is $40 and the first 20 registrants will be accepted. To register or for more info, call John Homer at 276-6526.
- A special service of carol singing, Scripture, and drama will be held Christmas Eve at 6:30 p.m. at Bethel Baptist Church (behind the Copper River Inn). Come celebrate the “reason for the season.”
- The Daily Bulletin will not be published on Dec. 25 and Dec. 26. Merry Christmas, everyone!
- A kayak-rolling clinic, instructed by David Fagerdahl, is slated for Sunday, Dec. 28 from 2:30-5:30 p.m. and Monday, Dec. 29 from 6-9 p.m. at the Memorial Sports Centre pool. The cost is $155 and registration is limited to four participants per class (register by Dec. 7). For more info, call 274-6460.
- Ring in the New Year with a roast beef supper/dance at the Legion (upstairs) on Wednesday, Dec. 31. Doors open at 5:30 p.m., with dinner at 6:30. Tickets cost $25, which are available until Dec. 23 at the Legion bar and office, Betty’s, Sight & Sound, Green’s Brand Source, and Fort Frances General Supply. Tickets for the dance only (after 9 p.m.) cost $10, which will be available at the door. Questions? Call Linda Larocque (274-1567) or Jen at the Legion office (274-0129).
- The deadline for nominations for the Fort Frances Sports Hall of Fame (for all sports) is Wednesday, Dec. 31. Forms may be picked up at the Memorial Sports Centre, Taggs Source for Sports, or the Fort Frances Times. The form also is posted at www.fort-frances.com
- The annual “Polar Plunge,” hosted by the Voyageur Lions Club on Sand Bay on New Year’s Day, is looking for participants. For more info or to obtain pledge sheets, call Bill Michl at 276-1334.
- “Forget Me Not,” the local Alzheimer Society’s annual charitable dinner, also featuring entertainment and an auction, will be held Saturday, Jan. 31 at 5:30 p.m. at La Place Rendez-Vous. Tickets cost $50 each or $400 for a table of eight, with a $25 tax receipt issued. To purchase tickets, call 1-800-682-0245 or visit the Rendez-Vous or Northwoods Gallery & Gifts (Fort Frances), Dev-Lynne’s (Devlin), or the Emo Inn or Cloverleaf (Emo).
- The World War II lecture series at the Fort Frances Museum, led by Jim Curr, has been cancelled for December. It will resume Wednesday, Jan. 7 at 6:30 p.m. For more info, call 274-7891.