Tuesday, May 26, 2015
- The Business & Community Expo 2015, organized by the Fort Frances Chamber of Commerce, will run today (May 22) from 4-9 p.m. and again Saturday, May 23 from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. at the Memorial Sports Centre. Admission is $3, with kids 12 and under free.
- The annual “Beat the Band” run/walk will be held Saturday, May 23 at the Sorting Gap Marina, with the kids’ 1K at 8:30 a.m. and the 5K event at 9 a.m. Kit pick-up is today (May 22) from 4-7 p.m. at Fort High.
- The Clover Valley Farmers’ Market will be open Saturday, May 23 from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. at its McIrvine Road location.
- “Bail or Jail,” presented by the Fort Frances Voyageur Lions Club, will be held Saturday, May 23 from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. at the Memorial Sports Centre. If you’s like to participate, or for more info, call Bill Michl (276-1334), Dale Gill (275-8844), or Gaby Hanzuk (274-3764).
- The Legion Ladies’ Auxiliary will hold a spring tea Saturday, May 23 from 2-4 p.m. upstairs at the Legion. Admission is $4 and there also will be a penny table.
- Town council will hold its next regular meeting Monday, May 25 at the Civic Centre. It will follow the committee of the whole meeting, which starts at 5:30 p.m.
- The retired nurses’ dinner will be held Tuesday, May 26 at the Fort Frances Legion, with cocktails at 5:30 p.m. and dinner at 6:30 p.m. Tickets, which must be purchased by May 19, are available at the La Verendrye Hospital Auxiliary gift shop, as well as at Pharmasave, Emo Drugs, and the Emo Health Centre.
- Riverside Health Care will hold its next open board meeting Thursday, May 28 at 6:30 p.m. in the boardroom at the Rainy River Health Centre.
- The Legion Ladies’ Auxiliary will hold a pork cutlet dinner Friday, May 29 at 5:30 p.m. upstairs at the Legion (doors open at 4:30 p.m.) Admission is $15/person, with take-outs available by calling 274-3772. The 50/50 “Joker Poker” also must go.
- A one-day FASD training for parents, presented by Marilyn Leiterman, will be held Saturday, May 30 from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. at the Couchiching Recreation Centre. Space is limited to 50 participants, with lunch and snacks provided. For more info or to register, e-mail Robyn Dennis at firstname.lastname@example.org
- A bake and gently-used sale is set for Saturday, May 30 from 8:30 a.m.-noon at the Zion Lutheran Church (1105 Scott St.)
- The “Friends of the Library” will hold its annual book sale Saturday, May 30 from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Donations welcome. Proceeds to benefit the Fort Frances Public Library Technology Centre.
- The Fort Frances Lakers will hold their annual general meeting Monday, June 1 at 7 p.m. at the Ice For Kids Arena. All supporters are urged to attend.
- The annual Emo Walleye Classic will be held June 4-6 (note the new dates). For more info, call 276-4128 or visit www.emowalleye.com
- Singers are needed for “Emo Walleyedol,” a karaoke contest being held in conjunction with the Emo Walleye Classic on Friday, June 5 at 7 p.m. The entry fee is $20 for adults and $10 for kids aged eight-16. Entry fee must be paid and music submitted by Friday, May 29. To register, call 271-0422.
- A “Downton Abbey”-style tea will be held Saturday, June 6 from 2-4 p.m. at St. John’s Anglican Church. There also will be a bake table and a gift basket draw. Admission is $8 for adults and $4 for kids aged 10 and under (those two and under are free).