Monday, January 26, 2015
- The Fort Frances Lakers will host the Minnesota Iron Rangers in SIJHL action on Saturday, Jan. 24 at 7:30 p.m. at the Ice For Kids Arena. Admission is $10 for adults and $5 for students.
- The Northwest Catholic School Board is holding registration for full-day/every-day junior and senior kindergarten from Monday, Jan. 26-Friday, Feb. 6. St. Michael’s School will hold a registration luncheon Tuesday, Feb. 3 from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. (a school tour will be included).
- The Valley Adult Learning Association, located at 241C Second St. E., will hold winter courses in administration, custodial/housekeeping training, Excel, and Simply Accounting, with classes starting the week of Jan. 26. See the ad on page A3 of Wednesday’s Times for registration details.
- The Fort Frances Native Urban/Wahkaihganun Futures Corporations will hold its annual general meeting Monday, Jan. 26 at noon at La Place Rendez-Vous. Everyone welcome. For more info, call 274-8530.
- Town council will hold its next regular meeting Monday, Jan. 26 at the Civic Centre. It will follow the committee of the whole meeting, which gets underway at 5:30 p.m.
- A special meeting on dog activity at Point Park will be held Monday, Jan. 26 at 7 p.m. at the Civic Centre. Public input welcomed.
- A “New You” boot camp—a free 16-week program—will be held Tuesdays from 10:30-11:30 a.m. starting Jan. 27 at the Métis Hall (714 Armit Ave.) To register, call Katie Cuthbertson at 274-3131 between 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. by Jan. 21. Class size limited to 40 participants and child care is not provided.
- Riverside Health Care will hold its monthly open board meeting Thursday, Jan. 29 at 6:30 p.m. in the boardroom at La Verendrye General Hospital.
- “Forget Me Not,” the local Alzheimer Society’s annual charitable dinner, also featuring entertainment and an auction, will be held Saturday, Jan. 31 at 5:30 p.m. at La Place Rendez-Vous. Tickets cost $50 each or $400 for a table of eight, with a $25 tax receipt issued. To purchase tickets, call 1-800-682-0245 or visit the Rendez-Vous or Northwoods Gallery & Gifts (Fort Frances), Dev-Lynne’s (Devlin), or the Emo Inn or Cloverleaf (Emo).
- “Tonic Sol Fa” will perform Thursday, Feb. 5 at 7 p.m. at the Backus Auditorium in International Falls as part of the Backus Performing Arts Series. Tickets, available at Betty’s in Fort Frances, City Drug and the Backus office in the Falls, or online at www.backusab.org, cost $12 for adults, $6 for students, and $25 for families (those under five are free). A “Top the Tater” dinner will be held beforehand from 5-6:30 p.m., with admission being $6/person.
- The “Friends of the Library” will hold its annual Valentine’s bake sale on Friday, Feb. 13 from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at the Fort Frances Public Library Technology Centre. Items can be dropped off Thursday, Feb. 12 from 5-8 p.m. (all donations greatly appreciated).
- The Kenora/Rainy River Palliative Care Volunteer Program is looking to train “friendly visitors” to those suffering with chronic or terminal illness. If you are interested, or would like more info, contact Jill Pernsky at 482-3667 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org